Botswana, Africa

Botswana, Africa
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this blog are our personal views and are not representative of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in anyway.

Friday, August 20, 2010

A week by myself....

Well I survived my first week alone! Mark was at a Peace Corps training all week (i'll be going too next week). I wasn't afraid of being alone at night or anything. This is probably the safest place i've ever lived really. Our buddy Murphy sleeps on our doorstep all night long and I have a bunch of neighbors really close by. Anyway, my real challenge was the boredom and not knowing what to do with myself! Most of the other PCV's here are single and I don't know how they do it! I have so much more respect for them now. I kept sorta of busy working and doing all of the regular things. I also baked a few loafs of bread, some homemade tortilla's, and a delicious pizza. HA! Take that Mark with your fancy lodge food! I am beginning to really like cooking too since I have nothing else to do and I appreciate food that tastes good so much more now. I hope I get better and keep it up once we come home.

Things are going well for me at work too. Murphy came with me everyday this week, of course, since Mark is gone. The only problem (aside from the million and one dog fights he gets into on the walk) is that he scares the clients who come into the office! People here are generally afraid of dogs and don't really think of them like pets the same way we do. Dogs are for protection only here and are trained to be pretty mean. But Murphy is the most sweet, good natured dog you ever met. Of course, other people don't know that and when they come up to the office and Murphy is sprawled out across the doorstep they get pretty nervous! I feel bad, but I am just not good at being mean to that dog plus nothing keeps him away anyway.

Mark says hello too. He has been having fun in Gabs (the capital) at the training. A hot shower, three huge buffets meals a day, and a pool.....not too shabby! He says that he is learning a lot and has good ideas for projects when he gets back. I am excited to go too since I will be able to see all of our friends and hear how everyone else has been doing the past few months.

That's about it for now! We miss everyone a lot and think about home all the time! Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the end of summer (ours is just beginning!).

=+) Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment