Botswana, Africa

Botswana, Africa
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this blog are our personal views and are not representative of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in anyway.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Still Here





So it has been awhile since I have last written anything about this adventure. I suppose the lifestyle has become a bit common place and some of the excitement has worn off. This does not of course mean that the adventure has ended... no I assure that it continues. Nearly a month ago now my parents came to visit which was incredible. To see them in my village shaking hands and conversing with some of the people that we have gotten to know just puts a smile on my face. Lindsey and I took them on the trip of a lifetime! We rented this huge green machine 4x4 and took it gallivanting through the African bush. We saw elephants like you could not believe. I mean real wild elephants, large bull elephants not more than 30 feet away just looking at us like what the hell are you doing on my turf. We saw male lions resting after feasting on an elephant with their faces still covered with blood! We saw some of the most beautiful sunsets that I have ever seen and the great thing is that we were able to enjoy it sitting with family!

In the past few months we have had fun and exciting times partying with peace corps friends. We had professional times with the Ambassador, well that was pretty fun too. We actually had a nice intimate dinner with the U.S. Ambassador (who is great by the way) and just kind of talked about traveling, children, gardening, and of course HIV. We have had quiet times were you literally have the whole day with nothing to do and you just kind of sit back and take what comes. Life is just slow here sometimes. Walking around the village, greeting people and interacting with the kids is usually the most exciting thing to do.

Nearly 9 months left and so much more to do before we come home. I have just been awarded a 68,000 pula grant for my school! I could not be more excited to get started on my projects. We will be certifying 3 teachers and building a huge garden. Lindsey is also working on a fund raising project that will build an HIV conference center.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment