Botswana, Africa

Botswana, Africa
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this blog are our personal views and are not representative of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in anyway.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Good Morn!

Sorry it's been so long since our last update! I guess everything just seems normal and not really worth writing about to us, but I know that it probably does not seem that way to all of you. So I thought I would just give a little update on how things have been going 'this side' as they say here.

Right now I am actually at my office, but there is nothing going on so I thought I would take the time to write a blog. This afternoon I am going to the hospital here in the village to be part of the third meeting of the new support group for people living with HIV/AIDS. No one has actually come yet besides the people at the hospital and myself who are trying to start it. But I am hopeful that people will come and that it will be a strong group because it is very much needed. We also have started an English Club at one of the middle schools. The students are very excited (about 35 of them) to be able to have American pen pals through a teacher friend at our old high school, St. Phil. I think it will be great and hope that the American kids get something out of it too. Our orphan support group continues to go well. The kids are loosing up around us a little more and we have learned that they actually know quite a bit more English than we thought they did! They were just too shy to talk to us the whole time! All of their classes and offical business here is carried out in English, but in general people (especially children) are not comfortable speaking it. I don't blame them at all because I feel silly trying to speak Setswana sometimes too.

I think the little things that happen are sometimes the most amusing and in time maybe the things that I remember most too. Everyday on my walk to and from work I pass by a house with several little children. There is a little girl who is probably about 3 years old. Right now her hair style is little braids that stick up like spikes on her head which makes everything more funny. This is our conversation almost everyday.

Girl: Lakoa, Lakoa, Lakoa!! (jumping up and down)
Me: Dumela
Girl: Good morn
Me: Good morning.
Girl: How old are you? I am fine.
Me: (laughing) I am fine. Go siame (goodbye)

It cracks me up every time. I guess she means to say "how are you" but somehow learned "how old are you" instead. I am tempted sometimes to just say '27' and see what she says...I call her my 'good morn' girl and look forward to walking by that house every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment