Botswana, Africa

Botswana, Africa
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this blog are our personal views and are not representative of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in anyway.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lesego's Gang

Since I haven't written a blog in a while I thought I would write a short one today. On my walk to and from work I pass by an elementary school, Thapelakoma Primary School, where I have started to volunteer one day a week at an after school club. Whenever I walk by the children all yell out my name "Lesego" (pronouned Lay-say-ho) and then giggle and run away. For some reason today was apparently the day to do away with that shyness! About 15 kids, probably ages 6-8, basically mobbed me and walked with me all the way home. The whole time they were petting me, fighting to hold my hands, hugging me, and touching my hair. It was like they had been patiently waiting for 4 months to be able to work up this kind of courage. They chatted away in Setswana to me. Let me tell you, it is hard enough for me to understand an adult who is speaking Setswana slowly to me, but 15 giggling children....I didn't get a word!! But this did not seem to bother them because they clapped and cheered when all I could say was "Ga ke itse" which means I don't know or I don't understand. So I guess my quiet walk to and from work will now be a little bit less quiet, but that is alright with me. They brightened up my day and that is all I can really ask for. I wish everyone could have this kind of experience at least once. You get to feel like a rock star or more likely a Disney Chanel star for a while! Come and visit us and I promise you I can arrange it!

-Lindsey aka Lesego

2 comments: