Botswana, Africa

Botswana, Africa
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this blog are our personal views and are not representative of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in anyway.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Celebrating our 2nd aniversery in Africa.

This past weekend we set out for a night of camping at Letsibogo Dam, a reservoir about 3 miles west from our house. We packed our back packs full and set out through town like a couple of backpackers who had just rolled into town. What a spectacle we made as we hiked through the village. People came out to see us as we went by and were happy to see that they knew us. On the edge of town three boys met up with us on our trek and joined us all the way to the waters edge. When I told them that I was carrying a boat in my backpack they looked at me like I was crazy, but in no time I could see their excitement as they helped fill the boat with air. So by the time it was full, the three boys and me all piled in for a ride out on the water. We made it not more than 20 feet from shore before they asked if we could turn back. Needless to say these boys had a great experience out on their first ever boat ride and I am sure the next time we are out that way it will be hard to deny the village kids a ride in our boat. After paddling across the lake and settling down at a nice camp site we quickly decided to go for a swim. I have to say that we are very blessed to have such a great body of water right in our back yard, especially when it is 100 degrees outside. After some time I broke out the cheap childrens fishing pole that I had. One cast, One fish (yep I'm that good)! Well this fish quickly broke my reel and so I decided that he would have to be dinner or I might not get another chance. When I made it back to shore there was a group of boys that had gathered to see what was going on and Lindsey quickly promised her share of fish to these boys. So one of the boys lite a fire as I cleaned the fish and in no time we were all sitting around sharing lunch. Our one fish fed all six of us, but the boys were eager to get out there and try their hand at fishing. I gave a fishing lesson and Lindsey gave a swimming lesson.... no one came away from the day knowing how to fish or swim, but it was fun anyway. In true Botswana style we were never alone for our anniversary and we had a great time. The next morning we made the trek back into town, but I think it is a camping trip for the books.

Mark

2 comments:

  1. Happy 2nd Anniversary you guys!!! Sounds like you celebrated in a unique way and had a great time doing it. I hope you have many, many more wonderful years together.
    We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary Mark and Juice! Fishing, camping, hiking-sounds like a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete