Botswana, Africa

Botswana, Africa
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this blog are our personal views and are not representative of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in anyway.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sleeping under the African night sky.

I had to make another post just because I am to much of an optimist to end on a bad note. So, last weekend we went up north to the Makgadikgadi salt pans and it was one hell of a time. There is nothing to really see or do. Just a big dried up lake the size of Portugal. They say in the rainy season it is one of the best places to go and see birds, however we went during the dry season just before the rains so we really didn't see much. I should disclaimer that by saying that we saw a handfull of flamingos, a few hippo tracks and something that could have either been wildabeast or a grouping of bushes... so pretty exciting. Anyway we went out had a brai and a big bonfire. It was great to finally get the old tent out and put it to good use. Without the rainfly it is just like sleeping outside and I have to say when you are out in the middle of nowhere in the middle nowhere the stars are really something else and they were that night. I think we all had a great time and I hope we can do it again very soon. We only spent one night out on the pans but by the time we made it back to the lodge we were all covered in about 3 inches of salt and dust.

Oh yeah, on the bus ride back south we had to stand for the entire time (2 1/2 hours)! At one point I had someone touching me from every angle. At one point I seriously contemplated just laying across the laps of the passengers sitting down. All in all I kind of think it was a cool experience... not one that I want to have again anytime soon, but in a weird way it was cool to experience how many Africans travel everyday.

Mark

1 comment: